- Martha and Lionel -
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Shape of Time

3 posters

Go down

The Shape of Time Empty The Shape of Time

Post  Furnish Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:58 am

Hello...I recently got into Smallville (I'm only on Season 8 though) and I really love Mionel. I was very sad when he died...Anyway. I wrote this fanfic. I'm still not sure how it will go exactly, but please enjoy. Smile

It takes place early seventh season...And if you have ever seen or read The Time Traveler's Wife, this story is inspired by it. It's my first fanfic...Please tell me what you think?

Chapter 1:

Everything was a daze. The last thing he remembered was an explosion. What kind of explosion, he didn't know or care. What he did care about, however, was why he was in Metropolis, when only seconds before, he was in Smallville.

He reaches into his pocket for his cellphone, but it's empty. He wonders briefly about its location, but shrugs it off. There were more important things to worry about.

He walks to the direction of the Luthorcorp. building. When he arrives, it isn't Luthorcorp, nor a building, but an empty area of land.

He's shocked, and that soon turns into anger and despair. His entire empire that took years to build was gone! He sunk down to his knees and pounded the ground repeatedly. Pedestrians moved by him quickly, thinking he was crazy and did not want to get in his way.

“Excuse me. Are you alright?”

He looks up then, tears almost spilling from his eyes. She is shocked to see him, but at the same time, she isn't.

“Lionel...” she whispers.

He looks at her, confused, “I'm sorry, do I know you?”

She offers him her hand. He accepts and she helps him to his feet, “It's me, Martha. Martha Clark?”

Now it's his turn to be shocked. He stares at her in disbelief. She certainly looked like her, but the Martha he knew was older. And widowed. This Martha was much, much younger.

She crinkles her brows as he continues to stare at her, and suddenly, it hits her instantly. Her mouth forms in the shape of an 'o', “It must be your first time, then...”

He snaps out of his reverie, “What?”

“Time traveling.”

His eyes widen, “Time travel?”

She nods, “The year is 1966, and if you don't believe me, there are plenty of newspapers around here that will give you the date.”

Well, that certainly explained the disappearance of his cell phone. Nineteen ninety-six. That meant that he was 22 years-old, and it also meant it was four years before he murders his parents and creates Luthorcorp.

“Oh, I don't doubt you, Miss Clark,” he states. It felt strange addressing Martha by her last name. Almost foreign.

“Please, call me Martha...you always did whenever you visited me.”

Whenever he visited her? But that's impossible. How did Martha know him when he clearly remembers never meeting her in his past? He nods, “Of course...Martha.”

“Thank you,” she smiles.

“If you don't mind me asking,” he begins. “How did I meet you? I don't recall ever meeting you in my past...”

He thought she would be hurt, but instead, a look of understanding and something more shines in her eyes.

“You met me when I was just a child. I remember it very clearly,” she giggles. “In fact...you're still the same Lionel I remember and love.”

Lionel's heart skipped a beat. Did he just hear Martha Kent—no, Clark, profess her love to him? He felt like fainting.

“Martha—I—“

Those were the last words he remembered saying before the world turned black.
Furnish
Furnish
X-ray vision
X-ray vision

Back to top Go down

The Shape of Time Empty Re: The Shape of Time

Post  Furnish Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:04 am

I think my favorite part writing this chapter was Lionel and Lex's conversation...xD

Chapter 2

“Dad! Dad, get up!”

“Ugrh...” Lionel groaned and opened his eyes to see his son hovering above him, a slightly concerned look on his face. He blinked. Once. Twice. Thee times. Was everything he experienced earlier a dream? He didn't want to believe that.

“Son?”

“Yeah dad, it's me.”

“W-What happened?” Lionel asked, slowly sitting up and observing his surroundings. He was definitely not in Metropolis anymore.

“There was an explosion in the lab you were in. I came as soon as I can. I thought you had died in there, dad! No one could find you. We searched everywhere! And then somehow, you suddenly appeared right here, not a scratch on you. In fact, according to everyone else, you should have died in there, because no one else but you made it out alive.”

Oh. So there was an explosion. Lionel felt somewhat relieved. At least he didn't dream up the explosion.

“Well, as you can see, I'm alright. Not a scratch on me, as you said. No need to concern yourself with me anymore, Lex.”

Lex frowned, “Dad, I thought you shut down this lab! What happened in there? How did you escape unscathed? I find that very odd, don't you?”

Lionel snorted, “Are you actually concerned about me?”

Lex's frown deepened, “I told you before, you're a valuable asset to Luthorcorp. Now, quit dancing around my questions.”

“What do you want from me, Lex?” he sighed.

“The truth.”

“The truth,” Lionel repeated.

“Yes. I'm sick of all your lies, dad. Now either you tell me what happened in there, or I'll find out myself.”

Lionel stared his son in the eye, “Nothing happened, son. It was just a system malfunction.” Before Lex could say anything, he continued, “Now if you don't mind, I have an appointment to make.”

Lionel walked away quickly and into the limousine waiting nearby. He didn't exactly lie to his son, but he also didn't tell the complete truth. It was true; there was a system malfunction. It was what caused the explosion in the first place. But Lex was right. He did find it odd that he was unscathed.

Could it be that the explosion did something to him? That it gave him some kind of power to...time travel because of the experiments that were going on in there? That would definitely explain how he made it out alive without a scratch on him. He decided he would ask questions later and focus on getting to Luthorcorp. and call Martha. Maybe she'll give him the answers he's looking for.

Arriving at his office, Lionel immediately dialed Martha's number, who was still in Washington.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Martha,” he couldn't help but smile at the sound of her voice. She always put a smile on his face.

“Oh, Lionel! It's nice to hear from you. How have you been?”

“I'm fine, more or less. And you?”

“I'm fine, as well. Being here in Washington has been an amazing experience for me. I'm very glad I went.”

He chuckled, “That's good to hear.” A pause. “Listen, Martha...There's something very important I must speak to you about.”

Martha's tone of voice immediately turned serious, “Yes, what is it?”

“There was an incident in one of the labs here in Smallville.”

“No one was hurt?”

“The whole lab has been destroyed. Everyone in the building died...Except me.”

He heard Martha gasp on the other line, “B-but how?”

Lionel sighed deeply, “I'm not quite sure. But...something happened. I think—I think the explosion may have caused me to become meteor-infected and....it allowed me to travel through time. I was wondering if you knew anything about it?”

Silence.

Finally, a shaky breath answered,“I-I'm sorry Lionel. I knew this day was going to come. I just didn't know it would be today...or that it would happen like this.”

“So I wasn't dreaming.”

“No! No, of course not,” she answered hastily. “Lionel. Your travels—they're spontaneous. You'll never know when it will happen or where you'll end up, exactly.”

“Martha, your younger-self told me that I met you as a child. Is...is that true?”

Martha smiled, “It is.”

“She also told me that—What the...”

“Lionel?”

“Something is happening. I'm disappearing...! I-I think I'm traveling.”

And the phone dropped dead.

“You're here!”

He was encompassed by a warm hug. He looked at the young woman in front of him. She seemed younger from the last time he traveled back...

She looked at him curiously, “What? Is there something on my face?”

“No. No, it's just that...You look stunning.”

She blushed, “Well, I was prepared...I knew you would come. I've been waiting.”

He blinked, “How did you know?”

“You gave me a list of dates when I was younger, remember?”

Lionel rubbed his forehead, “Yes...Yes, that's right. I'm sorry, Martha. I'm just very tired today.”

She smiled, “It's alright. I understand.”

“Can you...show me the list of dates I gave you?”

“Sure. I'll be right back. Stay right there!” with that, Martha Clark ran into the mansion ahead.

Lionel looked around. He concluded that he was at the Clark manor. It was a beautiful place. Very fitting for someone such as she. Moments later, he saw Martha run back toward him.

“Here it is. I keep it in this diary,” she handed it to him.

“Thank you,” he said and carefully opened it, as if it were the most precious thing in the world.

He was somewhat surprised to see the dates on the very front page. He stared at the paper. The markings on the sheet was definitely his hand writing. He studied it carefully, absorbing every detail and information written.

Once he was done, he returned the diary to Martha, “Thank you again. You've helped me a lot.”

“It was the least I could do.”

He smiled, “I mean it.”

Martha looked at Lionel sadly.

“What's wrong?” he asked.

“You're leaving again.”

He looked at himself. She was right. He's disappearing.

“Don't worry, I'll come back!”

“I know you will! You promised!”

He smiled, and the world spun around him.
Furnish
Furnish
X-ray vision
X-ray vision

Back to top Go down

Post  Saeshmea Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi^^ It's nice to see new fanfics in the forum! This story is amazing!!! I hope you'll be able to post new chapters soon because I'm very into it!! I want to know more about this travels and this visits to Martha in the past^^
Saeshmea
Saeshmea
Admin

http://annetteotoole.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furnish Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Saeshmea wrote:Hi^^ It's nice to see new fanfics in the forum! This story is amazing!!! I hope you'll be able to post new chapters soon because I'm very into it!! I want to know more about this travels and this visits to Martha in the past^^
Thank you! Embarassed Hopefully I'll be able to update quickly and not give up on this! Smile
Furnish
Furnish
X-ray vision
X-ray vision

Back to top Go down

Post  Furnish Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:57 am

Third chapter is done! I really enjoyed writing this one. Here we have some glimpses of the episode "Lara". The rest of that episode will be mentioned next chapter. Smile As a side-note, I used Annette O'Toole's birth date as Martha's, since it appears Lionel's birth year is the same as Mr. Glover's...

Chapter 3

He's in the present again, and when he returned, he's in his office. He walks over to his desk and takes out a paper. He sits down, grabs his favorite black pen, and scribbles the dates he would visit Martha. He makes a second copy for himself, just in case. He safely tucks them away into his pocket.

He sits on his chair and sighs. Many questions run through his mind. Everything felt so confusing now. Did Martha already know him when they first met in Smallville those years ago during the first meteor shower? Does she still love him? She admitted that there was something going on between them during Thanksgiving, but those feelings of hers, had they been there the whole time? If that were true, why did she reject him then?

He stands up and paces around the room. He's anxious. A lot has been happening in such a short amount of time, and he isn't quite sure what it all means.

So lost in his thoughts, he doesn't hear the door to his office opening.

“Lionel,” Clark says.

He turns around quickly.

“Welcome back.”

“Clark,” he says, and walks up to him for a hug.

“I'm glad you're okay.”

He doubts Clark knows about the lab explosion he was caught in, and so he assumes that Clark is talking about his disappearance from the Bizarro incident, “Yes, well. In the darkest hour the soul is replenished, and given strength to continue and endure.”

He chuckles, “Luthors are survivors, Clark.”

There was a pause, and he continues, “I hear that a...new member of the Kent family has turned up in Smallville.” It wasn't a question.

Clark smiled, “My cousin, Kara.”

“Kara...” Lionel repeats. He looks down, and searches his memories for any mention of a 'Kara' in the Kent family.

Nothing.

He turns to look back up at Clark, “You haven't mentioned her before, have you? Which side of the family?”

“My father's side.”

“Oho. Which father?” he smiles.

Clark just smiles back at him, “My adopted father.”

Lionel's smile falters. He was hoping Clark trusted him enough to tell the truth. The thought that he didn't hurt him a little. Clark moved past him and continued to speak.

“Look, the reason I'm here—“ they both turn to face each other, “—I came across an underground government lab. It's located beneath the silo in Granville. You have a lot of contacts in Washington. I thought maybe you could tell me something about it.”

“What were you doing in a government lab, Clark?”

“Researching a story for a friend.”

Another lie. Lionel could only smile, “I believe that lab in Granville belongs to the Department of Domestic Security.”

Clark furrows his brows and tilts his head to the side as Lionel walks past him to pour himself a drink.

“Tell your friend you—“ he stops himself, “—tell her it's not a front page story.”

“Domestic security?” Clark asks, “I thought they dealt with terrorism.”

He grabs a blue bottle and unscrews its lid, “Among other things. You know, Washington has had a wary eye on the heavens, Clark; watching for any threat beyond the stars. I've heard they call that program 'Starhawk'. They came to Smallville after the second meteor shower. I did everything I could to divert their attention away from you.”

He sips his drink, and Clark walks towards him, “Why didn't you say anything to me?”

Lionel puts his drink down, and looks at Clark seriously, “Your life is complicated enough. I understood they were about to leave Smallville. They've found no conclusive evidence of an alien threat.”

Clark looks at him. He was giving him that look. Lionel knows then something has happened, “Do you think something they discovered—something in that lab, changed their minds?”

Clark stares at Lionel in the eye, “Tell me everything you know about Starhawk.”

Lionel purses his lips, “I'm afraid I don't know much. I know that the technology they have there was invented by Summerholt Neurological Institute, a research facility used to develop machinery to study the mind.”

“So they're studying minds.”

“Yes...for what purpose, I don't know. I do know, however, they can manipulate a person's memory. Tell me, Clark, you're not thinking about going there, are you?”

Clark looks down for a moment and walks quickly to the door, avoiding the question, “I have to go. Thanks for your help, Lionel.”

Lionel sits back down on his chair and rubs his eyes. He was no fool. He knows that Kara is a Kryptonian, and if his assumptions are right, Starhawk must have done something to her.

He also knows that Clark is going to go after her no matter what the costs. If Clark was going to go after Kara in Washington, then so would he. He's going to make sure nothing happens to him. He leans back into his chair and closes his eyes.

Lionel opens his eyes minutes later. He looks around, awed. He wasn't in his office anymore, but rather in a shopping district. It was snowing, and Christmas ornaments hung around shops everywhere.

He walks around and looks at the date of a newspaper: December 24, 1954. Twice in one day, he muses. He hadn't expected to be traveling back in the past so soon.

He sees a red-haired little girl nearby looking lost. She looks scared and confused, but refused to cry or make a scene. He walks up to her and kneels down in front of her. He realizes it's Martha as a child.

“Are you lost?”

She looks at him and says, “My dad told me not to talk to strangers.”

He chuckles, “I'm not a stranger,” he looks around and sees someone selling Santa hats nearby. He calls them over and buys two: one for him and one for her. He puts his on and smiles, “See. I'm Santa Clause!”

She giggles at him, “No you're not!”

“Yes, I am, Martha,” he smiles gently at her and puts the second hat on her.

She gasps and gapes at him, “How do you know my name!”

“I told you, I'm Santa Clause!”

“Wow...” she says breathless. “Do you know my birthday, too?”

“April 1st, isn't it?”

“Yeah! How about my age?”

He laughs. She seemed so fascinated with him, “I'm afraid that's the only thing I don't know. How old are you?”

“I'm seven years-old.”

“Well you're a very smart girl for your age.”

“My dad says that all the time. He wants me to be a lawyer just like him...” she looks down, a bit crestfallen.

He takes notice of this and puts a hand on her shoulder, “But is that what you want to be?”

“Not really,” she pouts. “I want to be something else...I don't want to be like my dad!”

“Well what ever you become to be, I'm sure you will be very good at it.”

“You really think so?” her eyes lit up.

He nods, “I know so.”

She grins at him and hugs him, “Thank you Santa Clause!”

A moment later she starts giggling.

“What's so funny?”

“Your beard...it tickles...”

“Is that so?”

“Mm-hm!”

He lets out a laugh and they laugh together for a while before he breaks their hug. He stands up straight and she looks at him curiously, “Come on. We should find your parents. Do you know where they could be?”

She nods and grabs his hand, pointing into a direction, “My mom and dad said that if I got lost, I should meet them somewhere over there...” He nods and they both walk quickly in the direction she pointed at.

Soon, they come across a crowded area with a giant Christmas tree in the middle. A red-headed couple is up ahead, frantically looking around for something...or someone. Lionel points to them, “Are those two your parents?”

She nods enthusiastically and she lets go of his hand and runs to her parents, “Mom! Dad!”

“Martha!” they both exclaim and embrace her tightly.

He watches the scene unfold in front of him, but he hides nearby. He doesn't want her parents to see him.

“Martha! We've been so worried about you...How did you find your way here? And where did you get that hat?”

“Santa Clause gave it to me and helped me find my way back!” she turns around to show her parents Santa Clause, but he isn't there.

“There's no one there, honey...” Mrs. Clark says, looking in the direction her daughter is turned to.

“But he was just here...”

“Well whoever he was, we're just glad you're safe. Let's go home," said Mr. Clark.

She looks back one more time before she is dragged away by her parents...and sees him. He is waving good-bye to her as she watches him disappear into thin air.

Lionel was back in his own time again.
Furnish
Furnish
X-ray vision
X-ray vision

Back to top Go down

Post  Saeshmea Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:37 pm

This is story is so good!! I love the plot, I'm amazed at every scene... Little Martha is so cute^^ and Lionel's so sweet with her^^ I hope you're able to post back soon!!
Saeshmea
Saeshmea
Admin

http://annetteotoole.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  StonedGorgon Thu May 26, 2011 7:35 am

This is such a good story. I would love to see more & know what happens between both of the characters. Can there be a happy ending?
StonedGorgon
StonedGorgon
Flight
Flight

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum